The idea of a chatbot is kind of creepy when you really think about it. Its a computer that you can have a real conversation with in real time without actually seeing them. Although its a creepy concept, now a days if you don’t have a chatbot on your site, it could actually hurt you.
What exactly is a chatbot? According to Webopedia.com, a chatbot is:
“a computer program designed to simulate conversation with human users, especially over the Internet”
Its becoming apparent that this generation wants to avoid actual human contact (phone calls, in person, etc) at all costs. I say this because in a study recently conducted that surveyed over 1,000 people showed that chatbots surpassed phone calls and emails as the most popular form of communication.
To put it more in perspective, here are some stats from Eweek.com when it comes to the emergence of chatbots:
1. Nearly one-third of consumers (28.9 percent) prefer chat tools over phone (28.7 percent) or email (27 percent) for interacting with retailers (jumping to 37 percent for millennials)
2. Two out of 5 consumers are open to interacting with a chatbot in a retail scenario.
3. Nine percent of millennials prefer to always interact with a robot instead of a human.
4. Nearly 40 percent of millennials are open to interacting with a company through a messaging app
5. One in 5 consumers are most excited to receive instant order updates via a messaging app, over receiving other retail tech offerings, such as immersive virtual experiences and drone delivery.
I don’t know whether I think these stats are really cool or kind of sad. I guess personally I don’t mind interacting with humans but it seems that others would really rather not! They are great for quick and fast responses though don’t get me wrong.
What do you think? Do you like when sites have chatbots? Let me know in the comments!